On March 11, 2011, the Great East Japan Earthquake happened. It was a magnitude 9.0–9.1 and the most powerful earthquake ever recorded in Japan.
The earthquake triggered a powerful Tsunami that reached a maximum of 40.5 meters and traveled up to 10 km inland. At present, more than 15,000 people are counted as dead and over 2,500 people as still missing. Even worse, we lost control of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.
On this tour, we visit the coastal area of Fukushima for 2 days. We hope you can get a real perspective of the damage caused by the disaster and the effect it had on Fukushima. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity and can have an important impact on your life.
We visit three types of areas along with the coast while explaining the past, present, and future of Fukushima more deeply.
• We will visit the area affected by the Tsunami. You will understand how people reacted and a get a sense for the area’s past, present, and future.
• We will visit the restricted area where people are not allowed to live, because of the high level of radiation. This will help you better understand the people’s plight of the affected areas.
• We will visit the area where people are trying to rebuild their community. People are trying to bring back hope for their future and for their former home. This area may bring you to hope for the future.
【How far from Tokyo to Fukushima】
• Fukushima disaster area is about 200-250 km away from Tokyo in a straight line
• We need about 7 hours for round trip to Fukushima from Tokyo by van or bus.
We also have a day tour but in a day tour we could stay about 5 hours in Fukushima disaster area.
If you have time, we recommend this 2-day tour.
【Where we can go】
• We will go 4 different areas and meet locals
- Explore Iwaki city(⑨⑩) where had a big earthquake and was attacked by Tsunami but no evacuation orders
- Visit Naraha town where evacuation orders have been lifted in 2015 (⑦⑧)
- Explore Namie town(①②③⑥) and Tomioka town(⑤) where evacuation orders have been lifted in 2017.
- Drive through Futaba and Okuma town (④) where is under exclusion zone
• Itinerary sometimes will be changed due to availability of locals and traffic jam.
Please understand that we don't go all place at every time
• Please note that we don't have special permission to enter the exclusion zone. It means that we could NOT go to Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant
【Tour Schedule as of 24th February 2020】
We could operate the tour every day if we have at least 4 guests. [4 or more: (!)] 2 days tour
It's new! We are waiting for your booking! Now if we have at least 2 guests, we will operate the tour. [March 2020]
・3rd (Wed.)-4th (Thu.) (!)
・13th (Fri.)-14th (Sat.) (!)
・25th (Wed.)-26th (Thu.) (!) This date 13th-14th will be held for sure because of special program for celebrating resume of Train!
– 7:50 am Meet up at Tokyo station Marunouchi North Exit.
– 8:00 am Depart from Tokyo Station.
– 11:30 am Arrive at the "Fukushima" Area.
• Tomioka town where people are trying to rebuild their community.
• Explore boarder area of NO GO zone (We couldn't enter inside)
• Visit farm which have cows survived the disaster.
• Through route 6 in NO GO Zone.
– 5:00 pm Check-in hotel in Iwaki city (30km away from the nuclear power plant)
(free time: there are public bath. If you don't have any tatoo, you can enjoy Onsen. If you have, you need to cover them.)
– 9:00 am Depart from accommodation and Explore coast area
• Visit Ukedo area attacked by Tsunami
• Meet flower farmer who came back and start his business within 20 km from nuclear power plant
• Visit open air museum "Kairo Art Museum" in Iwaki city
– 4:30 pm Depart from the "Fukushima" Area.
– 8:00 pm Finish the tour at Tokyo Station.
*Itinerary will be changed depends on the condition of disaster area.
Tokyo Station / Tokyo Station
English and Japanese
PRICE (PER PERSON)
45,000 yen / Person
*Capacity: Maximum 15 (If you want more people to go, please let us know.)
*We have group discount until end of March. We will refund later:
‐2ppl: 5% off
-3ppl: 10% off
-4ppl - 7ppl: 15% off
-8ppl or more: 20% off
Approximately 8:00 PM
・English and Japanese Speaking Guide
・Transportation Service (Van)
・Accommodation (If you are single, it's shared room.)
・Lunch and dinner (You can buy during the tour)
・Minimum number of participants: 4
– (We will let you know at least 7 days before the tour if the tour will be held).
・All payment is expected before the tour.
【Notes on Radiation】
We receive lots of question "Is it safe?".
• During the tour we have Geiger counter and we could know how much radiation we are exposed.
• We estimate that we will be exposed to about "0.003-0.004" mSv of radiation by this trip.
If you come to Tokyo from New York by plane, you would be exposed to about 0.1-0.2 mSv of radiation (Round trip).
This means that the radiation exposure for the tour is about over 25 times smaller than the round-trip flight from New York to Japan.
Cooperation with Chernobyl Tours "SoloEast Travel"
On this 2 days Trip we went from seeing the events of the explosions and how something like this happened to seeing the enormous destruction the Tsunami left behind. We saw a school with a very touching story behind it, we saw vast amounts of lands and cities where nature started to be the dominant factor.
We were able to meet a lot of very interesting and lovely Locals, who told us more about the events and the consequences of these fateful days in 2011 and why they decided to come back and live here again. These stories are very powerful but often also very heartbreaking. These people lost a lot and are working hard now to bring fukushima and there home back to were it was before everything happened.
But, this trip also shows the accomplishments that are already achieved and I was surprised by the state that fukushima is in already. The radiation in Fukushima is the same as in Tokyo even less than 10km away from the Power Plant. There is a lot to see and experience and together with a very friendly guide that is very passionate about Fukushima this tour was a wonderful experience.