See the Fukushima Disaster Zone with your own eyes.
On March 11, 2011, the Great East Japan Earthquake happened. It was a magnitude 9.0–9.1 and the most powerful earthquake ever recorded in Japan.
The earthquake triggered a powerful Tsunami that reached a maximum of 40.5 meters and traveled up to 10 km inland. At present, more than 15,000 people are counted as dead and over 2,500 people as still missing. Even worse, we lost control of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.
On this tour, we visit the coastal area of Fukushima. We hope you can get a real perspective of the damage caused by the disaster and the effect it had on Fukushima. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity and can have an important impact on your life.
We visit three types of areas along with the coast while explaining the past, present, and future of Fukushima.
• We will visit the area affected by the Tsunami. You will understand how people reacted and a get a sense for the area’s past, present, and future.
• We will visit the restricted area where people are not allowed to live, because of the high level of radiation. This will help you better understand the people’s plight of the affected areas.
• We will visit the area where people are trying to rebuild their community. People are trying to bring back hope for their future and for their former home. This area may bring you to hope for the future.
9:00 AM – 7:00 PM (10 hours)
– 8:50 am Meet up at JR Fukushima Station.
– 9:00 am Depart from Fukushima Station.
– 11:00 am Arrive at the "Fukushima" Area.
• Namie Town which was hit by Tsunami.
• The area people are not allowed to live in because of high radiation levels.
• Tomioka Town where people are trying to rebuild their community.
– 5:00 pm Depart from the "Fukushima" Area.
– 7:00 pm finish at Fukushima Station.
Fukushima Station / Fukushima Station
Japanese and English
PRICE (PER PERSON)
*Capacity: Maximum 5 (If you want more people to go, please let us know.)
Approximately 7:00 PM
・English and Japanese Speaking Guide
・Transportation Service (Van)
Takuto Okamoto will be your guide for the Fukushima Disaster Tour.
He was originally from the Aichi prefecture and went to the University of Tohoku in Sendai, which is next to Fukushima. When he was a university student, he often went to Fukushima as a volunteer or helped with other activities. He would talk with lots of people in Fukushima, like farmers who are having trouble with their businesses, public staff who have tried to revive their home town, also volunteers or people working at tourism agencies, etc. All of them experiencing the hardship of rebuilding their community.
There are many problems in this area, but he thinks that the tour can help resolve these problems.
On the date of the tour, we will visit three types of areas along with the coast and you will be able to understand by getting a better sense for the area’s past, present and future. He will show you what is the real side of the disaster.
He hopes that this tour will change the lives of all people, who attend the tour and those were affected by the disaster, so that a change may take place to better improve everything.
We are looking forward to seeing you soon.
・Minimum number of participants: 4
– (We will let you know at least 7 days before the tour if the tour will be held).
・All payment is expected before the tour.
【Notes on Radiation】
・We estimate we would be exposed by radiation about "0.004 mSv".
・If you come to Tokyo from New York (One way) by plane, you would be exposed to about "0.1" mSv of radiation.
・This means that the radiation exposure for the tour is about 100 times smaller than the flight.